Guide to filing your taxes in 2023

Guide to filing your taxes in 2023

Different ways to file your taxes

If you are one of the estimated 100 million people that are eligible to file your tax return for free you can keep all of your refund money by choosing one of three options.

In person full-service free tax preparation

If you meet the requirements below, you may be able to take advantage of in-person, full-service tax preparation services through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) , AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, and The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. These free programs have operated for over 50 years and use IRS certified tax preparers and meet high IRS quality standards. This means you can be assured that you will have an accurate return.

You can schedule an appointment with VITA/TCE and Tax-Aide sites if you:

  • Generally make $60,000 or less,
  • Have a disability,
  • Have limited English skills or speak English as a second language, or
  • Are 60 years or older

Find a VITA or an AARP Tax Aide site

Note: Some VITA or AARP Tax Aide sites are open year-round and some close at the end of tax season. When you search for a site, check the “Dates open” column to find a site that plans to remain open after April 18, 2023.

Remote full-service free tax preparation

You can prepare your own return with help from IRS certified volunteers when you need it through MyFreeTaxes if:

  • Your income is $73,000 or less.

You can get connected to VITA providers around the country virtually to have your return prepared by signing up through GetYourRefund if:

  • Your income is $66,000 or less.
  Jerry Garcia: 1942-1995

Free self-preparation

You can prepare and file your own return through IRS Free File :

  • If your income is $73,000 or less, you can access guided return preparation assistance.
  • If your income is greater than $73,000 you can access fillable forms to prepare your own return without assistance.

Free tax filing for servicemembers

You can prepare and file your tax return for free through MilTax if you are:

  • Active-duty service members, spouses and dependent children of the eligible service members.
  • Members of the National Guard and reserve — regardless of activation status.
  • Retired and honorably discharged service members, including Coast Guard veterans, within 365 days of their discharge.
  • A family member who is managing the affairs of an eligible service member while the service member is deployed.
  • A designated family member of a severely-injured service member who is incapable of handling their own affairs.
  • Eligible survivors of active-duty, National Guard and reserve deceased service members regardless of conflict or activation status.
  • Some members of the Defense Department civilian expeditionary workforce.

Consider these factors before using a fee-based tax preparer

Before choosing to pay someone to prepare your taxes here are a few things to consider:

  • The fees you pay will generally be based on the complexity of your return. If for example you have multiple sources of income including self-employment, are claiming certain tax credits, or have had changes in your life circumstances during the course of the year you will likely pay more than if you have a simple return.
    • Despite the complexity of your return, you may still be eligible to file your taxes for free if you meet the guidelines listed above so check with the free provider of your choice first before paying to have your taxes done.
  • If you go to a paid preparer they may offer you additional products that will reduce the amount of your refund such as refund anticipation checks or refund anticipation loans.
  Lancaster Country Club to Host 2024 US Womens Open Championship